Friday, February 20, 2009

The Dreaded Eye Roll

You just haven't lived until your fourteen year old rolls his eyes at you, stomps his foot and says (in his crackly, pubescent voice) "You are being unreasonable!".

This kid that you fed, clothed, provided shelter for, stuck up for, helped study for test after test with, went to bat for, watched numerous sporting events of, and agonized over every parenting descision for...this kid.

I am frustrated! I am overwhelmed! I want to throw in the towel! I want to let him have his way so he'll like me again! But, I also want to make him pay. I'll show you unreasonable! Roll your eyes at me, will you! I gave you those eyes, buddy...maybe I'll take them back!

I am calmer now, having gotten that out of my system. Now I need to go make up a chore chart with lots and lots of things to do on it. Lots and lots. And lots.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

He ROLLED HIS EYES? Next he'll be saying, "Sooooo?" in a sarcastic voice, which was my weapon of choice. :) It drove my mom nuts. I just wanted to get her off my back for a few minutes. Sheesh. You'd think parenting is hard, or something.

He still does like you, but he will never admit it. I hate to say it, but it's his JOB to test your boundaries. It will drive you MENTAL, but you must stick to your guns and not give in, no matter how much you want to be liked. Teens are angsty; they feel so misunderstood! They are constantly checking to see if boundaries are still there.

I know it's no comfort to hear this from a childless woman, but I WAS rather a handful as a teen, so I know what I'm talking about.

Vent away; that's what blogs are for!

Robynn's Ravings said...

You GO girl! Most of us have been there if we're tellin' the truth. My son is almost 14 and a can hold his own. But my kids really do get it and it does get better....

I like to be liked, too, so my kids know how to work me. That's when I have to WORK them, as you say.

Found you on PW lookin' around for fun sites. Blessings! :)

Becky said...

Missed seeing you today, actually drug my behind out to ballet today. Anyway I gave you some bloggy love today, gave you the Sisterhood Award. Love ya.